Marshmallow rice krispie treats with chocolate ganache. Because David and I are totally kids at heart. I am quite certain people would think us bonkers if they happened to peek in on one of our more childish moments. (And I’m not just talking about digging into these chocolate rice krispie treats.)
I don’t even know how to describe those moments that make me so happy, because they are just too silly when you say them out loud. Suffice it to say that they usually involve dancing, funny faces, inappropriate sounds, terrible singing, poking and/or lots of giggles. It is those moments that make me so grateful for David–for having found someone with whom I can so utterly let go and just BE. No filters, no costume, no disguise, no correction, no second guessing. None. And I am equally grateful that I can be that for him. If only every day was like that–that the world could see us all–each of us in our own ridiculousness.
That we could dance a jig while stirring marshmallows into butter. That we could shout “SON OF A BITCH, POUR ME A DRINK” just because we have that one line from that one song playing loop da’ loop in our head and it really is a great song. That we could spin another person round and round just because they aren’t smiling enough.
I had not had marshmallow rice krispie treats with chocolate in ages, but for whatever reason, David and I had a craving. These rice krispies are good with any toppings you can imagine… we wanted something close to the original, because we just. DID. Tons of ooey gooey marshmallows. And even when I got back from a business trip 6 days later, the rice krispie treats were still soft. (And I had demolished two within 20 minutes of walking in the door.)
So make some rice krispie treats this week, grab a friend and dance them round and round, and find a moment to be ridiculous!
Toppings for Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Ganache:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Crushed Reese’s cups
- Crushed Twix bars
- Peanut Butter drizzle
- White chocolate drizzle
- Chocolate chips
- and more!
24 Rice Krispie Treats
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 10 oz bag large marshmallows
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows (reserve 2 1/2 cups for stirring in)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups rice krispies cereal
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Use one end of the 1/2 cup butter stick to lightly butter the parchment paper. (Use less than half a Tablespoon to butter the pan.)
- Melt remaining butter over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. Once melted stir in all large marshmallows and all but 2 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows into the butter.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring the marshmallows until completely melted. A few lumps won't hurt, but only a few.
- Stir in salt. Then stir in rice krispies cereal, stirring and scooping from the bottom to thoroughly mix the melted marshmallow throughout the rice krispies. Stir in remaining mini marshmallows.
- Dump rice krispies into papered baking dish. Tear off a hand-sized piece of parchment paper. Using the paper, press the rice krispies into an even layer in the pan. Do not compress too tightly, but pat down until firm. Allow rice krispies to cool in pan.
- Heat heavy cream in microwave until just about to boil. Pour cream over chocolate chips in a small bowl and allow it to sit for 3-4 minutes. Stir smooth with a spatula until there are no lumps left. Allow chocolate ganache to cool for about five minutes, then pour evenly over rice krispie treats. (*See Notes.)
- Use a spatula to spread evenly over the treats and leave it to set. (This can take several hours.)
- Slice and serve! Store in an airtight container on the counter top.
You can replace the semi-sweet chocolate chips with milk chocolate or dark chocolate if you prefer a sweeter or darker ganache. You do not need to use all of the ganache, either! Some of us like the treats with all of the ganache spread on top. (As pictured above.) Others felt this was a tad too much chocolate.