People think that firms pay lawyers a lot of money, because they went to expensive schooling or because it’s a high risk career. They would be wrong. It is hazard pay, my friends. It is the professional world’s best attempt at compensating you for that feeling you get when you find your first gray hair . . . spy your first wrinkle . . . that is, if your over-abused, overly-tired eyes can make out the reflection staring back at you.
I joke about it, but it’s actually something I pondered quite seriously a little while ago. While nothing is more important in the legal world than the billable hour, what good is making the minimum billable hour requirement if I’m burnt-out and exhausted? I’ve resolved to make time for myself–time to do something that is something I only do because I ENJOY it. It can’t be something that merely allows me to relax like a netflix black hole. It has to be an action, a choice, a selection.
- Baking a new recipe that is NOT for the blog.
- Watching a new movie that I’ve been meaning to see.
- Taking Darwin to the dog park.
- Going for a run.
- Reading a book that I’ve been meaning to make time for.
Speaking of books, my mum recently sent me a book written by Shamu’s trainer who applied many of her animal training techniques to her husband. I smell an at home experiment brewing . . .
KIDDING, David. When you read this, remember you love me and my charming sense of humor.
Smoothie bowls are my secret weapon against the stress of my career. They are super easy, super fast, and can be taken on the go if necessary. This triple berry smoothie bowl is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and so many other nutritional goodies! Sometimes, I worry that having a berry smoothie is more sugar than I need in the morning. But by using unsweetened almond milk and homemade granola, it’s less sugar than a tall glass of orange juice. And this berry smoothie can easily be made without greek yogurt. You can replace it with a scoop of almond butter or leave it out altogether. When I have a berry smoothie bowl, I FEEL good. I FEEL like I at least made an effort to try and combat all the crap that I put my body through. (Heyo, stress levels.)
So make sure you have your list! Make sure you’re doing something for you this week!
Berry Smoothie Bowl Toppings:
- fresh berries
- fresh banana
- homemade granola
- almond butter or peanut butter
- greek yogurt drizzles
- coconut flakes
- nuts or seeds
- agave nectar
- mini chocolate chips
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (almond, coconut, skim, whole)
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries (1/3 cup blueberry, 1/3 cup raspberry, 1/3 cup strawberry)
- 2 Tablespoons greek yogurt or almond butter
- swirl of agave nectar
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Optional Toppings: granola, fresh fruit, peanut or almond butter, coconut flakes, or chocolate chips
- Add all non-toppings ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and add toppings or dump it in a travel mug!
- If you'd like a thicker smoothie, add additional berries or ice. If you'd like a thinner smoothie, add additional milk.