It has been a while. How ARE you? I hope you are living your best life wherever you are.
I’m sitting over here in our new-to-us house, nomming down fresh raspberry lemon trifle like it’s going to make me forget about the towers of unpacked boxes in our basement. And stacks of frames sitting on the floor. And all the TV cords sitting in a giant rat’s nest behind the entertainment center, because I made David set the TV up in a hot second so I could watch the bachelor….
The last month has been a lot. As evidenced by my need for dessert, guilty pleasure TV shows, and waaaaay too many chai tea lattes.
- Finally got answers on an ongoing medical mystery.
- Started searching for a house.
- Found a house.
- Freaked out about finding a house so soon.
- Bought a house.
- Found mouse droppings under some furniture left by the sellers and maybe freaked a little.
- Nailed the hazard waste worker look and went through a bottle of clorox in less than ten minutes.
- Sat on the couch and wondered if we’d chosen the right house.
- Slept on it and started feeling better.
- Walked into the kitchen the next day and saw a mouse dive underneath the oven.
- Maybe freaked a little. Okay. DEFINITELY freaked a lot.
- Sat on the couch. Called Mom. Cried it out. Called the exterminator. Went through another bottle of clorox.
- Freaked out about surgery and the fact that I was hurting.
- Saw a therapist for the first time in my life.
- Ate an entire batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
- Finally scheduled surgery.
- Worked on this whole “being a grown up” thing.
So yeah. It’s been a lot.
Hence . . . raspberry lemon trifles. A lot of raspberry lemon trifles.
Butttttttt. I was trying to be kind to myself by using whole, natural ingredients — even in my treats. So yay for raspberry lemon trifles! A dense lemon cake layered with lightly sweetened raspberries and whipped coconut cream. These raspberry lemon trifles are perfect for navigating tricky diets and allergies, because they are naturally:
- free of refined sugar
- and the perfect mix of textures for a happy dessert.
Ohhhhhhhhh. One last note! A little piece of news! For any of you fellow food bloggers out there! I will be speaking at the Everything Food Conference 2019! I am over-the-moon thrilled that they asked me to speak on dark and moody food photography and am looking forward to meeting everyone. If you are there, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come say hi! Or listen to me ramble about tips on dark and moody food photography and lightroom. Or come chat with me about your position on whether Arie was a total *** or if he’s just a hopeless romantic that realized too late that love is not logical. All of the above?