Sooooo remember how I said I have a blueberry peanut butter protein smoothie every day because nothing else can compare??? Well . . . I take it all back.
Everyone welcome . . . the Chocolate Covered Cherry Protein Smoothie. Only 212 calories and packing 23 grams of protein. Boo-Yah. Winning. Breakfast done right.
I have strongly competing interests in the morning. Goal 1. Hit snooze about a thousand times, because I’d rather snuggle with a fluffy puppy and the husband when it’s cold outside. Goal 2. Wake up with enough time to not be rushed out the door, because I hate rushed mornings.
You see my problem.
What this typically results in is me hitting snooze a thousand and one times, enjoying a long walk with the puppy, getting ready in a non-rushed way, and then grabbing-keys-shoving-computer-in-bag-and-racing-out-the-door-in-a-flurry. Which means breakfast ranges from being a half-frozen breakfast burrito to a leftover piece of pizza. (It ain’t pretty, folks.)
Enter . . . protein smoothies. I’m having one just about every morning these days. But I am also conscious of the fact that some protein smoothies out there–while they taste fantastic–have loads of sugar. (Exhibit A–which I still have on the weekends or as a post-workout treat.) But during the week, I cannot afford to be crashing into a sugar coma come 1 pm. This chocolate covered cherry protein smoothie is the perfect answer, since it’s low calories, a perfectly reasonable amount of sugar, and heavy on the protein. (I can use the protein’s help with curbing my snacking tendencies…)
Macros per Chocolate Covered Cherry Protein Smoothie: calories: 212 protein: 23 g fat: 4 g carbs: 25 g
1 protein shake
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (if using vanilla, then double the cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon agave (optional)
- large handful of ice cubes (10-12 cubes)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth! Enjoy plain or topped with shaved chocolate!
Want some more ideas for your daily protein shake? Check out these!
- Skinny Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Cookies & Cream Protein Smoothie
- Raspberry Nutella Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Smoothie Bowl with Almond Butter
- Triple Berry Smoothie Bowl